Last Sunday’s (2/8/2009) Washington Post had a nice list of film festivals coming up. The one’s that have caught our eye:
- March 11 — FilmFest DC, the city’s annual showcase of international film, opens in local theaters and cultural institutions. Through March 22.
- March 12 — The Environmental Film Festival, which this year will pay tribute to the documentaries of Werner Herzog (“Grizzly Man,” “Little Dieter Needs to Fly”), gets underway at venues throughout Washington. Through March 22.
- April 17 — Korean Film Fest D.C. focuses on female directors this year; highlights include “The Chaser,” a thriller about to be remade in the United States, and “Night and Day,” the latest film from auteur Hong Sang-soo. Through June 10.
- June – EuroAsia Shorts marks the fourth annual festival that follows pairings of short films with discussions about issues facing different cultures today. Various venues through June 6.
- June 15 — Silverdocs, the AFI/Discovery Channel documentary festival, returns for its seventh year of spotlighting the world’s most provocative docs. Through June 22.